ACADEMIC PLANNING UNIT
The Academic Planning Unit was established in 1979. It operates in the Vice-Chancellor’s office.
The unit is headed by a Director, who is a high-ranking academic staff, and is assisted by some professional and other supportive staff. The Director of the Unit is directly responsible to Vice-Chancellor for the day-to-day administration of the Unit.
The Function of the Academic Planning Unit includes:
- To guide and monitor the university’s activities in accordance with the statutory goals, mission and vision of the university.
- To ensure the most economical arrangement and operation which guarantee the achievement of high quality in the academic programming of the university.
- Enrolment Projection and Assessment needs as basis for resource allocation in the University
- Using information on university academic materials and facilities for planning
- Preparation of National Universities Commission (NUC) Annual Estimates for the University
- Annual updating, analysis and interpretation of data for the planning, preparation of the University budget and subsequent resource allocation within the ambit of the approved budget
- Analyzing and monitoring of resources allocation and utilization within the University
- Searching/Soliciting for Fellowships, Scholarships, Technical Assistance, External Aids etc for staff to enhance teaching, research and development
- Determination of adequate staff strength and requirement to guide against any possible excess staffing and its attendant results
- Sourcing for linkages and collaborations with other Universities/Institutions/Organizations in order to exchange collegiality across the globe
- General distribution and administration of the Direct Teaching and Laboratory Cost Allocation to departments and rendering adequate feedback to NUC
- Preparation of the University Rolling Plans in conjunction with the Physical Planning Unit
- Preparation of Strategic Plan and ensuring University’s compliance with the provisions of the plan in its implementation
- Preparation, implementation and general review of Academic Brief
Continuous evaluation of academic programmes, rationalization of courses, merging/splitting of departments/units
- Participating in University curricular revision and ensuring that University complies with procedures and guidelines on new programme development
- Rendering secretarial and academic services for the allocation of Teaching and Research Equipment Grant (TREG), Direct Teaching and Laboratory Cost (DTLC).
- Analyzing utilization of allocated resources to various aspects of University operation such as academic and material resources (laboratories, classes, offices and other facilities)
- Coordination of accreditation and Re-accreditation of academic programmes and ensuring adherence to NUC Minimum Academic Standard (Quality Assurance)
- Appraisal and processing of requests for affiliation from other tertiary institutions
- Preparation, computerization and publication of data on students admission, enrolment projections and determination of Full-Time Education (FTE)
- Preparation of Digest of Statistics
- Collection, analysis and interpretation of University’s annual and trend statistics for both internal and external consumption
- Formation of a computerized data-base for teaching and research equipment
- Computerization and dissemination of data required as input for planning purposes
- University Data Bank
- Involved in some National Planning Activities such as the National Manpower Board, National Planning Commission etc.
The Unit also provides Secretariat assistances to the following Committees:
- Senate Estimates
- Sub-Committee of Senate Estimates
- Academic Planning and Curriculum
- Teaching and Research Equipment Grant
- Nigerian Universities Research and Development Fair (NURESDEF)
- University Accreditation
- Senate Research Grant
- The Unit liaises with the National Universities Commission on behalf of the University and any other duty assigned the Vice-Chancellor