The parent department, Human Kinetics and Health Education started with a Certificate and Diploma programmes in October, 1980 and on Tuesday 30th July, 2013, the Department of Health Promotion and Environmental Health Education was carved out from the parent Department of Human Kinetics and Health Education. The pioneer Acting Head of Department was Dr. O. A. Onifade (2013-2014), followed by Dr. R. A. Shehu (2014-2016), Dr. O. L. Olaitan (2016-2019) and the present Head of the Department is Professor Arimiyau Akanji Sanusi. The Department offers amongst others, undergraduate, postgraduate and professional degree programmes.
The department runs both undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes as follows:
- B.Sc. (Ed.) Health Education
- M.Ed Health Education
- MPHE Master of Public Health Education
- Ph.D Health Education
Admission Requirements for B.Sc. (Ed.) Health Education
The entrance examination UTME is conducted by the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB). In addition to attaining the required standard in the entrance examination, candidates must satisfy the general University requirements in post UME screening as well as specific requirements for both the faculty and the department.
- Candidate must possess five (5) O’Level credits in GCE/SSCE/NECO/NABTEB/GRADE II TC/Equivalent to include English Language and any four (4) of the following Social Sciences, Art and Science subjects in at not more than two sittings; Economics, Biology, Agric Science, Government, Commerce, Chemistry, Physics, Accounting, History, Geography, Health Science, Physical Education, Mathematics, etc.
- The UME subjects to include English Language and three of the Arts, Social Science and Science.
- NCE in Physical and Health Education, Agric Science/Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Home Economics and Integrated Science plus five O’Level credits in GCE/SSCE/NECO/NABTEB/GRADE II TC/Equivalent to include English Language and any four (4) of the Science, Arts or Commercial Subjects, Biology, Economics, IRS/CRS, Commerce.
- Preference will be given to NCE holders and a first degree from a recognized institution
- Candidate must possess five (5) O’Level credits in GCE/SSCE/NECO/NABTEB/GRADE II TC to include English Language, Mathematics and any other four (4) of the Science, Arts or Commercial subjects such as Biology, Chemistry, IRS/CRS and Health Science plus HND not less than Lower Credit in one of the following courses:
- Community Health
- Public Health
- Environmental Health
- Medical laboratory Technician
- Medical Record and Health statistics
- Dental Health
- Ophthalmic Health
- Library and information Science
- Catering and Hotel Management
- Science Laboratory Technology (SLT)
- Hospitality Management
- Food Technology (FT) and other related health discipline from registered Institutions.
- Candidate must possess five (5) O’Level credits in GCE/SSCE/NECO/NABTEB/GRADE II TC to include English Language, Mathematics and any other four (4) of the Science, Arts or Commercial subjects such as Biology, Chemistry, IRS/CRS and Health Science plus B.Sc degree of not less than third class in the following courses:
- Bio Chemistry
- Guidance and Counselling
- Education Management
- Education Technology
- Agric Science
- Home Economics
- Science Education and other related courses from recognized institutions.
December 4, 2023