The Medical Microbiology and Parasitology is a composited department in the Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MB;BS) program established originally for training of undergraduate medical students. The department had since grown and expanded to incorporate postgraduate training in Medical Bacteriology, Parasitology, Virology, and Mycology leading to the award of M.Sc., M. Phil. and PhD degrees. Over the years, the department has raised needed manpower through its postgraduate programme, in line with the philosophy of the University at large and the Faculty of Basic Clinical Sciences in particular.
At present, one important philosophy of the department is to produce highly skilled personnel to serve as manpower source for teaching, research and professional services for the public, private and international organizations through postgraduate training in the field of Medical Microbiology and parasitology.
11. Master Degree in Medical Microbiology and Parasitology
2. M.Phil. degree in Medical Microbiology and Parasitology
3. Ph. D. in Medical Microbiology and Parasitology
Aims and Objectives of Postgraduate Trainings
The aims and objectives of the Masters, M.Phil, and PhD degree programmes in Medical Microbiology and Parasitology are:
1. Providing interested individuals with the necessary competencies and skills to function effectively as teachers, researchers and professionals in the health and medically related industry. This is with the view of providing students with the scientific knowledge and skills required to enhance their performance as members of the health care team in their various specialties and discipline.
2. Acquisition of teaching, research and professional skills for imparting knowledge and service delivery in Nigeria and internationally.
3. Producing graduates who are capable of applying scientific knowledge and principles to solve human and environmental problems.
4. To produce scientists who are socially responsible and mindful of accepted norms and ethics.
Admission Requirement into Postgraduate Programs
1. All candidates must fulfil the matriculation requirements as stipulated by the programme of the university and as specified by the undergraduate BMAS.
2. Candidates must possess Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university and must obtain a minimum of second class lower division in their fields or related disciplines.
3. Candidates with MB.BS, B.DS, DVM, BNS, B. Sc. PHYSIOTHERAPY, OD or other unclassified honours degrees in relevant specialties from recognized universities are also eligible.
4. Candidates with HND or other equivalent qualifications e.g. ALLMS could be considered for admission provided they have obtained a postgraduate diploma at credit level in related disciplines.
5. On completion of the M.Sc. programme candidates who obtained weighted score of at least 60% (CGPA of 3.5/5.0) are eligible to proceed to PhD programme in Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, Candidates who obtained a weight score between of 55% and 59% (CGPA of 3.0 -3.49) would be eligible for M.Phil./Ph.D. programme. However, candidates who obtained weighted score between 50% and 54% (CGPA of 2.5 -2.99) shall be eligible to proceed to M.Phil. programme in Medical Microbiology and Parasitology//php the_content();?>
October 24, 2022
Resumption Of Final Year & Post Graduate Students
December 15, 2022